1 position available
Doonan Architects is an award-winning architectural practice principally involved in the residential, commercial and conservation sectors throughout the North East of England. A Chartered Practice based in the market town of Hexham, Doonan Architects has been established for over 30 years. A new position has arisen for an Architect to join the practice on a permanent basis, offering the chance to lead on a diverse selection of mixed projects from design through to completion.
We are a small Chartered Practice looking for an experienced Architect with design flair, focus on high quality detail and good interpersonal skills.
The candidate would ideally be interested in historic buildings with an understanding of traditional construction but will be encouraged to consider new sustainable, contemporary design for additions, conversions and new build projects. The role will involve full responsibility for projects from design to completion, and direct communication and leasing with clients. Strong technical knowledge is required.
The practice has a varied project portfolio (from private bespoke residential property to small commercial schemes). Projects involve both existing and new buildings in town and rural settings. Projects vary in scale from £30,000 – £10 million. Current project types typically include domestic extensions and new build houses, work on listed and historic buildings and scheduled monuments, leisure, commercial, religious and community buildings.
Skills and experience
- RIBA Part III qualified
- A minimum of 2 years post part III practice experience
- Excellent knowledge of UK Planning and Building Regs
- Background working on UK residential/residential led schemes
- Track record of leading projects from feasibility through to completion
- Client liaison experience
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent design skills and attention to detail
- Strong design, technical detailing abilities and presentation skills
- Experience in contract administration
- Ability to self-manage time and workload
- Proficient in CAD
- Full UK driving licence and own transport
- AutoCAD and Revit skills
- Conservation/ Listed Building Experience
- Experience in delivering projects across all RIBA stages
The ideal candidate will be a proactive, and adaptable team player who has the ability to work efficiently alone. You will be flexible and creative, enjoy problem solving and innovation.
We offer a competitive salary, dependent on experience and qualifications, within RIBA salary ranges.
- Payment of relevant professional subscription fees
- Workplace pension scheme in operation
- During the summer months we operate a 4.5 day working week (office closes at 12.30pm on Fridays)
- The office closes for two weeks over the Christmas period (additionally to annual leave entitlement)
- Costco Card membership
Applications welcomed before Friday 17th November 2017. Please respond by email only with a full CV and portfolio.